Monday, March 21, 2011

Starting Over


Somewhere, somehow in the past few months, I lost my focus. Or maybe lost is a bit extreme. Misplaced might be a better word. I started this blog in the hopes that it might help inspire people to cook more, to take better care of themselves. I wanted to find a solution to our country's obesity epidemic. To help people realize and understand the value of cooking for themselves and their families on a daily basis.

But motivating people I've never met is a lot harder than I thought it would be. So I tried to tell you how I do it. Why I do it. How easy it is to do it. And I started to include easy recipes that I made regularly in the hopes that you would follow along. And pictures that I hoped would motivate you, too.

I don't know if any of it is working or helping, but I want to get back to the 'why' because I think that is the most important part. And I'm going to take a step back from the recipe bit. My concern is that because the internet and blogs in particular are still so very new, the etiquette and how-to's are still being worked out. And even though I've been crediting the authors whose recipes I use, I'm not sure if it's been enough.

There are recipe blogs all over the internet - really great ones, in fact. And there are cookbooks coming out every week with all sorts of new and amazing recipes. If you're coming here in need of ideas, I'll be happy to point you in the right direction. I'll tell you which ones I trust and why. And instead of just recipes, I'll work on showing you techniques and tips instead.

Today's tip: if you don't make lasagna very often because your recipe serves 12 and there are only 4 of you, split the lasagna into two pans and freeze one for later. Of course if there are only 2 of you, that's still a lot of lasagna.

Let me know what you think. We're in this together, after all.

2 comments:

  1. Danielle! We're having people over and we're serving salmon…what should we serve with it? Can you help? There' will be six of us altogether.
    xxoo joanE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Salmon goes with just about everything and it really depends on what you like. I've made this http://epi.us/QHvGF many times and really like it. I use frozen corn when fresh isn't in season (like now). With that, I'd probably do a simple green salad and another side dish - maybe roasted asparagus with some grated parmesan or even tossed with a balsamic vinaigrette. I hope this helps - let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete